Monday, January 18, 2010

My First American Girl

Sew Chic Doll Boutique

Long before she, or any of us really, knew that American Girl dolls existed my mom found the American Girl books. My older sister read the Babysitter's Club series, and my younger sister read the Babysitter's Little Sister books but I found neither appealing. My mom looked for a series for me to read and found the Boxcar Children, which I read through in rapid time. She was in the bookstore yet again looking for another series for me when she found a small section in the young readers that had adorable little girls drawn on the front. She first picked up the Kirsten books, but eventually brought home the entire series.

It wasn't long after bringing those first books home that my mother found a postcard attached to the last page illustrating 3 beautiful 18" dolls. She returned the postcard, to what was then called The Pleasant Company, and not long after we received our first catalog in the mail.

It in was early 1990 that we first were introduced to the American Girl line. There were only 3 dolls available: Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. We begged and begged for these dolls but they were quite expensive. Finally for christmas my mom gave in. She told us that it would be our only Christmas present and that we would only be getting the doll, the accessories (hat, purse, handkerchief, coin and necklace) were sold separately. My older sister and I quickly and greatfully agreed, but my younger sister was skeptical, she though of watching our baby brother open a whole pile of gifts while she had only one, I think it got to her. She has always liked surprises better anyway, so she opted not to get the doll.

On Christmas Santa Clause came through with not only the doll but the accessories too! To this day Molly was still the best Christmas present I ever got! My younger sister soon realized her mistake in not choosing the doll, and quickly recitfied the situation by asking for it as a birthday present. By the time her next birthday had rolled around Felicity had been released by the company and it seemed her waiting had paid off. Once she knew that the doll had been ordered she sat on the front door step for 3 days waiting for the UPS man to arrive.

Check out my stuff

SewChicDollBoutique.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment